Pages

Thursday, October 06, 2011

Mella's Caramel Apple Dumplings


I first ate these years ago and it's one of those desserts you think about from time to time for no reason. I actually think about desserts a lot. Anyway, I'd kind of forgotten about it but I was looking through Mum's recipe binder the other day, found the recipe and came straight home and made it. Three weekends in a row.

Dough
2 cups self raising flour
2 tbsp sugar
120g butter, cubed
4 tbs water

3 apples

Sauce
60g butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 1/4 cups water

Preaheat oven to 180C. Lightly butter a pie dish or baking dish.
Mix flour and sugar. Rub butter in (I use my fingers) until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add water and knead to a smooth dough.
Peel, core and quarter apples.
Divide the dough into 12 small balls. Flatten each one as much as you can and wrap each piece of apple in a piece of dough. I guess a rolling pin would work but I find it easy to do it in my palm and then you can work the dough around the apple. This sounds like a lot more work than it really is. It doesn't really matter if there are little bits of apple peaking out.
Fit the apples snugly into your buttered dish.
Meanwhile, put all sauce ingredients into a saucepan, stir over medium heat to dissolve sugar, then bring to the boil.
Pour the sauce over the apples. It will seem like there's going to be too much sauce, but trust me and use it all. Unless you don't like sweet deliciousness. Bake about 30 mins until the tops are golden and the sauce is bubbling.
I really think this is best served straight out of the oven with whipped cream or ice cream but my family will eat it cold from the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment