Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Tiramisu


I love anything coffee flavoured. Coffee ice cream, coffee cake, coffee (obviously), and tiramisu of course. I do like the cake version but I prefer it as a trifle. However, I generally have huge trifle issues. No jelly, ever. No soggy bits. Eat as soon as possible after assembly and I can't bring myself to eat a trifle someone else has made. I don't know why but it makes me sweat even thinking about it. I'm pretty much the same with tiramisu so the recipe I give here is made my way but you could soak the biscuits more or leave it overnight. Your choice.

I make the traditional raw egg version and it really is the best thing. If eating raw egg creeps you out, stop reading now. This recipe makes enough for 6 generous serves, but probably should be served to 8 (or 10)! It is a very simple and forgiving recipe so I'm never precise but will give you the approximates I use. Feel free to experiment. It will still be awesome!

1 pkt Savioardi sponges
1 cup strong coffee
big slurp of coffee liqueur (3 tbsp?)

200 - 250g mascarpone, depending on the package size you can get
2 eggs, separated
1/2 cup caster sugar
more coffee liqueur
200 mls thickened cream, whipped

cocoa

With a hand mixer, whip egg whites til foamy and gradually add about 2 tbsp caster sugar. Beat until glossy.
In another bowl, beat remaining sugar with egg yolks until fluffy, pale and doubled in volume.
Beat mascarpone into yolks and add liqueur to taste.
Fold whites gently into yolk mixture.
Finally, fold whipped cream in.
Taste. Taste again. Taste again. Panic that you won't have enough mixture to make the dessert.
In a shallow bowl, mix coffee and liqueur.
Dip Savioardi into coffee - soak them for a second if you want. I don't.
Add a layer of Savioardi to your serving bowl - the one I use is about 20cm and 8cm deep. It takes 3 layers.
Add a third of your filling and gently smooth.
Continue until everything is used, finishing with filling.
You can eat it straight away like I do, or refirgerate it overnight.
Just before serving, dust liberally with cocoa.

Let's have a closer look :



Really simple, really yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment