Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chocolate Crackles



Because we just had our school fair, I have been only been making kid-friendly, sellable items all week and have some fun recipes to share over the coming weeks. To start off my bake-sale-o-rama, what could be better than the humble chocolate crackle?

I am a huge fan of foods that remind me of being a kid. There is comfort in knowing that life changes, but yumminess doesn't. Some foods are totally acceptable to eat throughout your life and some foods should probably be left alone after your 10th birthday. Like these chocolate crackles. That's why I'm so glad I have kids now. I have an excuse to make (and eat) these all the time. Now all I need is an Atari 64 and some episodes of Wonder Woman and I can pretend that it's 1980 again and I don't have bathrooms to clean.

Chocolate Crackles
4 cups Coco Pops
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup dessicated coconut
2 tbsp cocoa
250g Copha

Stir all the dry ingredients together. Melt the Copha slowly in a small saucepan and pour into the dry ingredients. Stir it all together and divide between 24 patty cases. Refrigerate until firm. Eat. Swoon. Eat again.

I have been finding that at kids parties, these are usually eaten first, by all the adults. As perfect as they are in their pure (huh?) form, I have taken to making an adults version as well. Just add a handful of crushed peanuts, a handful of mini marshmallows and some chopped glace cherries to the dry ingredients. If you really want to go all out, you can add about 150g of dark chocolate while you're melting the Copha - you'll need to work fast with the mixing and filling the cases as the chocolate set quickly. These are like a rocky road chocolate crackle and just so good.

The other reason I love making these is that it means there's half a box of Coco Pops left - also best left in childhood. But who's going to let them go to waste? Not me. And I would never let my kids eat them for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment